Saturday, November 20, 2010

Taxi Terror

Sat am traffic
Lima has done nothing to quell my fear of taxis. I thought traffic was bad in LA, Cairo and Boston, but I have NEVER seen anything like Lima. I ride backward in the van on the way to placement so I don’t have to see where we’re going. Getting in a taxi where there are no rules, you don’t speak a word of the language and you just have to hope your driver is taking you where you want to go is more than enough to cause hyperventilation and nausea.

Taximoto
But there are no alternatives to taxis in Lima. They tell us getting on a bus is a sure way to get robbed and a taximoto is a sure way to die. So you’re left with a taxi. It doesn’t help that I heard today that a licensed taxi driver in Ariquepa kidnapped tourists for ransom this week. So if I want to go somewhere, I have to take a taxi and hope for the best.

This afternoon we wanted to go exploring. That requires a taxi. And the ability to tell the driver where you want to go.  And then how to get home. And the ability to ensure you’re not getting stiffed on the fare. Almost enough to keep me from going out. But we got lucky today. Our drivers were honest and adept at maneuvering traffic. We made it to our destination in record time.

Barranco church
We spent the afternoon in Barranco, a seaside district of Lima known for its old Spanish style buildings, nice market and oceanview bars. The sun came out and it was quite warm; a nice change from the chilly, dreary days in Lima so far. We walked down to the beach and back up all the steps to the square.

We shopped around at the market and I added another purse to my collection. At this rate, I may return home with the world’s largest collection of purses.

Ten more volunteers arrive tonight and another twelve or so on Sunday. The peace and quiet of the house will soon be over. By this time tomorrow this place will be a zoo!
Barranco market

No comments:

Post a Comment